Final Image Preview
So friends , today we are create a sofa modeling in autodesk Maya. Modelling a sofa set is extremely easy , you need just use your creative brain to make a sofa . For practising modelling, as a beginner, this is good.. So, Here is a step by step guide to modelling and texturing a sofa set in Maya
How to modelling a sofa set in Autodesk Maya
- Create a box with Width 10, Height 3, and Depth 24.
- Insert a controlled as for smoothing the sofa , You can see below image , how much Edge will you need to control the sofa for smoothing.
- Now you can press 3 for smoothing the box.
- After smoothing the box , your box should like this.
- After that copy this box to make a sofa as shown in image below.
- We create a our basic simple sofa shape. Now we can work on this shape to make our sofa more realities.
- Select these two polygon and pull up little bit.
- After pulling up the polygon , this box should like this.
- Now we can work on other boxes.
- Select these vertex
- Pull the vertex little bit like this
- adjust your sofa look like this.
Modelling a Sofa Leg
- Create a cylinder with Radius 0.759, height 2.478 and subdivision axis 8. You can also choose radius and height according to your sofa image.
- Select all the top vertices and scale to center like this.
- Now give an control edge to this cylinder.
- Place the leg bottom of your sofa at proper position.
How to modelling a Pillow in Maya
- Create a box with width 10, Height 2 and Depth 12
- Insert the Controlled Edge.
- Press 3 for smoothing the pillow.
- Select the center polygon and pull up little bit.
- Select all four corner vertex and scale it little bit
- Create one more edge in the center of this box.
- Press and hold shift + Right click the click on Insert edge loop tool box to open insert edge loop tool setting.
- After setting open, Click on Multiple Edge loop tool.
- Enter 1 in Number of edge loop box.
- Now insert edge in the center.
- Delete the bottom half part of your pillow box.
- Go to Modify and Click on Center Pivot.
- Go to Edit and Click Duplicate Special Box Icon.
- Duplicate Special Setting Box open.
- You will see many option in this setting.
- Just Choose instance and add minus in scale y axis value and click ok.
- Another copy will create , you can adjust this copy like this image.
- Now select both boxes, then go to mesh and click on combine, Now you box are combined together,
- But you need little more work
- Select these two edges
- Hold down CTRL + right click. Now you will see many option. Now you can click on to vertex. After that your edge selection convert to vertex.
- Hold down shift + Right click , after that you will again many option. Just choose merge vertices, after choose this option, three option were highlighted such as Merge vertex tools, merge vertices to center , merge vertices. You can click merge vertices checkbox to open merge vertices setting.
- You can increase threshold to 0.413 or something little or bigger, this amount is perfect worked for me.
- After that click on merge.
- Now you can scale this pillow box according to your sofa model.
- Now your sofa look like this.
How to Create UV for Better Texturing
- Select this part as shown in image below.
- Go to edit UV > delete uv
- Go to Create UV and then click on Planner Mapping checkbox. A Planner Mapping UVS setting open.
- Choose best plane and click ok.
- After that, go to Edit UV > UV Texture editor.
- A UV texture box will open select.
- Press right click and choose UV.
- select this box and move it .
- Now go to polygon menu and click on unfold.
- After unfold click on relax under polygon menu.
- Now select the bottom face and repeat these steps again
- Now create front, back, left , right UV one by one and remember don’t use shortcut
- After creating UV, we need to assembled the uv
- I like to sews the UV.
- You can select all UVS
- Go to polygon > and click on layout , your uvs assembled automatically.
- But i don’t like automatic assembled uv, so i sews uvs manually.
- For Sew UV, select one edge of your create uv , after select edge you will another edge highlighted.
- You can move other highlighted edge box to front selected edge box.
- after that , hold shift + right click and click on sew uv. Now your uv were sewed. Repeat this process to sew all uvs.
- Here is a final uv
- Go to Polygon Menu , then click on UV snapshot.
- A snapshot setting will open.
- Enter Value 1048 in size X and Y
- Choose image format JPG or PNG and Click ok
Texturing a Sofa Set
- Open the UV Creation image in Photoshop.
- Create New white layer.
- Download your desired textured from google image search.
- Open this texture in Photoshop
- Place this texture in UV Image.
- Save the image in PSD or JPG , PNG format. P
- PSD Format image does not work in mental ray.
- Go to window > rendering > hypershade.
- A material editor box will open.
- Click on Lambert icon.
- Double click on Lambert.
- Minimize the hypershade window
- You will see the Lambert setting in right side
- Click on color check box and click on file icon.
- Choose image file and select your image and click ok.
- Go to hypershade window again, click on Lambert icon and click assign material to selection
- Create another box UVS and give texture with same process.
- I make some changes also , now our final sofa ready.
So we create a simple sofa set but we invest so much time on this project but why?
For any artist , practicing and model looks realistic is first think. In this tutorials your learn about modeling, texturing, UV mapping, uv sews. Material.
I am sure , after reading this tutorials , you will modeled and textured any type of sofa ,and chair using this techniques. Keep learning
Share the post to encourage me to write a news post.